Solved - Edgley Optica CTD Fix

Lockheed Martin offers us Prepar3D v4 and v5 now native for 64-bit systems and VR compatible. Prepar3D engages users in immersive training through realistic environments. Ideal for commercial, academic, professional, or military instruction.
TruNorth Simulations

Solved - Edgley Optica CTD Fix

Unread post by TruNorth Simulations »

Edgley Optica

This aircraft is available to download from many freeware websites. I recently downloaded it from Rikoooo, but it kept crashing my sim to desktop in P3Dv4.5. I took a look at the files and tried a few things, and I think I found a solution.

If you experience a CTD in P3Dv4.5 or P3Dv5, navigate to...

Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Edgley Optica

Open it's aircraft.cfg with notepad.

Under each [fltsim.x] you will notice atc_id_color= and atc_id_font=

Delete the text after each one of those so they remain blank.

I believe either the 0x000000 or Verdana,100,1,600,0 is causing the issue.

I tried this and now it no longer crashes my sim. I already sent this information to a moderator and posted it in the replies under the aircraft download in order to get the information out to other users.

Also, I modified the vc's altimeter guage face texture to match the 2D gauge. The original one was incorrect. The needle would always point 1000 feet higher.

Download the gauges zip file from the attachments and extract it to the Edgley Optica's texture.shared folder. Don't forget to make a backup of the original just in case.

Facebook @trunorthsim
Attachments
gauges.zip
Guage Face Texture
(273.56 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

Bedlamsquare

Re: Edgley Optica CTD Fix

Unread post by Bedlamsquare »

Interesting. Having just received a fairly rude and dismissive message from Erik regarding my concerns about this and other files, it appears there really IS something wrong with it.

rikoooo
Administrateur global

Unread post by rikoooo »

Hello TruNorth Simulations,

Thank you very much, indeed, the solution was to remove those two lines from Aircraft.cfg. I had a similar issue with my latest 787 package, the solution was to change the value of atc_type=" ". Strange issue that exist only with P3D v4 and v5.

I have updated the Edgley Optica with your fix and I have also included your gauges.dds.

Download here: https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/51/613

Again, thanks a lot for your efforts in order to find a fix.

Bedlamsquare, I'm sorry if you feel I was rude but you were not helping by saying that my add-ons "smells like a virus / Trojan Horse" this is not the right method to get help (unless you have absolute proof) and I take this as a personal offense against the reputation of Rikoooo, which, I'm sure you understand. As you can see, in this case the solution was to remove some directives lines in Aircraft.cfg. No virus, no Trojan. Thank you and sorry again.
Bon vols - Happy Flights

Erik - Admin

Bedlamsquare

Unread post by Bedlamsquare »

Erik. I'm not trying to be personal. I'm trying to tell you that there is something unexpected going on with some of the files downloaded from this site and it's making me suspicious. That's EXACTLY what I said the first time, and nothing has changed.

Before you again call into question my competence, some years ago I was a network manager for the military, so I'm not a novice. However, so far I've only done those things that any competent Windows home-user would expect to do.

The original thread regarding the Optica contained several references to folder permissions, which may not have been relevant to the actual cure for the problem, but should have been investigated. When I tried following the suggestions in that thread I noticed that I wasn't able to change the folder permissions, even with an Administrator account. That's strange and a bit of a concern.

When I upgraded my hard drive recently I cloned it using Acronis Drivecopy. I didn't copy the files over. I then attempted to delete the files from the OLD drive, which were still exactly where the installer put them. Not the new drive. The old one. So your statement, "you have moved your P3D folder to a new drive. So you already know what is the problem", is completely incorrect and irrelevant.

Two folders wouldn't delete - the Optica and the AT-802 Fire Boss. The Fire Boss still won't delete. When I attempt to change the permissions through the 'Properties' window I get an error message telling me an error occurred because "\AT_Beacon.fx failed to enumerate objects in the container, Access is denied". That's not totally unheard of in Windows, but it's not normal.

When I try to delete the Fire Boss folder, I get a message saying I can't because I don't have permission. Further investigation shows that the fonts are being used by Firefox. Again, not uncommon, but also not right.

I have dozens of freeware aircraft for FSX and P3D, and just as many payware. None of them have ever behaved in this manner. Each of them is installed in its own folder structure in a completely separate directory from my P3D folder. Each is managed in the same way and referenced to the main simulator through .xml files. Each one is completely separate. No aircraft can modify or overwrite any files from another aircraft, or any of the main P3D files. I'm obsessive about this so if there is one rogue aircraft it can't mess up my whole installation.

In the folders for two Rikooo aircraft I've got files which cause crashes to desktop, can't be deleted, won't let an Administrator change the permissions and are in use by a web browser for no good reason. That's exactly what I'd expect from a range of different malwares, so I'm saying it as I see it. I could also be an unfortunate set of Windows coincidences, but it still shouldn't happen and I'm still looking at Rikooo as the culprit.

You can take as much offense as you like. I really don't care. Files downloaded from your site are causing unexpected and undesirable activity on my system and I can't remove them. And if you read the original thread, I'm not the only one. As far as I'm concerned, that's your 'proof'. The correct way to uphold your reputation is to investigate and correct if required, not become overly-defensive and make silly 'keyboard warrior' statements about my understanding of Windows permissions. To do it a second time is just embarrassing.

rikoooo
Administrateur global

Unread post by rikoooo »

Dear Bedlamsquare,

I feel sorry that you are encountering some permissions issues with two of my auto-insaller.

The auto installer is basically just copying some files in your simulator, nothing more. For now, I have no explanation why you have this issue except that you have recently cloned your hard drive, but I will investigate.

Did you use the uninstaller ? Uninstaller has all necessary permissions to remove the files previously installed. You will find the uninstaller link in your Documents folder -> Rikoooo Add-ons or from your Apps & features in Windows 10.

If the normal method does not work, you can still change the ownership of the files.

Here is a link to fix "failed to enumerate objects in the container, Access is denied".

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/ho ... al%20users.

You can contact me from the Rikoooo Facebook page if you need more support about this issue.

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/RikooooSimu/

As the Edgley Optica CTD is now fixed I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.

Safe landings
Bon vols - Happy Flights

Erik - Admin

Return to “Prepar3D v4 and v5 (64 bits)”