P3DV5 HF1 TTA & FPS Issue

Lockheed Martin offers us Prepar3D v4 and v5 now native for 64-bit systems and VR compatible. Prepar3D engages users in immersive training through realistic environments. Ideal for commercial, academic, professional, or military instruction.
Nitrical

P3DV5 HF1 TTA & FPS Issue

Unread post by Nitrical »

All,

Anyone having an issue with the TTA in P3DV5? (Turboprop Trainer)
The elevators on the plane operate inverted? I noticed this yesterday...
I had to check twice, seem like an idiotic mistake from LM to me.

Also after upgrading from 4.5 to 5 I expected better FPS... Not that it is bad, it is just all over the place... Goes from +80 to around 20 constantly. While V4 was always stable. Acceptable fps above heavy scenery (around 25) and 60+ elsewhere.

After installing ORBX (Global, Vector, OPENLC regions and some airports into V5 folder). I found that I actually get less FPS in V5.1 than 4.5 with similar slider settings...

- Didn't upgrade to new version of Active Sky just yet. So weather is stock too...
- AI Traffic is not even active. (I use the oCI tool from India echo Foxtrot to get real airlines as AI, still need to do that)
Didn't even tweak CFG in V4 and V4 even ran from an old HD. Not even SSD. V5 is installed dedicated on a 1TB M2 SSD.

Any tips to get a bit better performance? A more stable FPS would already be a great improvement...
Checked already the virus scanner things etc. Complete HD is excluded from scanning.

PC Specs:
Z-390 Mobo
i7 9700
32GB DDR4,
2070RTX 8GB.

Running WIN10 from M2 SSD. V5 from second 1TB SSD
Bedlamsquare

Re: P3DV5 HF1 TTA & FPS Issue

Unread post by Bedlamsquare »

Yes, you're right. I just checked and the tailplane does move in the wrong sense. It's only visual though. The aircraft flies normally and the VC controls move in the correct sense. More of an concern is that I can't get the landing gear to retract and the flap level doesn't seem to work.

However, it's non-issue. That aircraft doesn't exist IRL, and the T-6 Texan II available right here from Rikoooo is vastly superior anyway. You are probably the only person ever to have loaded that aircraft!
Bedlamsquare

The sliders in v4 and v5 are not comparable. All the way up in v5 is a lot more detailed / demanding than the same setting in v4.

Your rig is significantly better than my old i5 2500K, and I could get flyable framerates in v5. However, for best visual performance you need a monster CPU. I'm using an i7 10700K now, and it's still working hard with all my hardware (4x FIPS etc) running.

Lock your framerate at 30FPS. you don't need any more than that, and it hugely reduces stuttering. Chasing pure FPS is for gamers, not flight sims. Set your v-sync to ON and enable VARIABLE REFRESH RATE. That made a colossal improvement on my machine but my monitor supports it. Yours may not.

Turn off Enhanced Atmospherics. While it's supposedly 'out of beta', it's still causing more trouble than its worth and it's a massive VRAM hog. Active Sky doesn't really support it anyway.

Make sure you have the latest version of P3Dv5. You need 5.1 HF1.

I have v4.5 and v5.1 on my machine. This afternoon I'll be uninstalling v4.5 as I never use it now. v5.1 is so much better. Faster loads, smoother, better UI, just everything is better.

Just remember that Prepar3d is a professional flight simulator, produced by one of the world's leading manufacturers of military aircraft, and used by the vast majority of Air Forces and professional training facilities. It's not going to show its full potential on a home computer, even a good one. The place where I used to work had racks of computers running the simulator in a dedicated server room. You have to accept that you won't be able to turn everything all the way up.

Shadows particularly hurt the GPU. View distance really hurts the CPU. Turn those down to HIGH and it will make a very noticeable difference to framerates, but very little visual difference. You won't see the framerate improvement though - you're locked at 30FPS. But you will notice the lack of stuttering. Seriously, there is a world of difference between a shuddering 60 FPS and shuddering, and a smooth 30FPS.
Nitrical

Currently back to V4 for one specific reason.
I have ORBX Vector, which in my opinion is a must have. But V5 has a problem with Vector when using the flightplanner...
It takes ages to get a proper flightplan. This weekend it couldn't even properly calculate a Brussels > Liverpool in IFR. It went via Heathrow and back to Brussels...

I do not need my P3D to be visually stunning.I have MSFS2020 coming to enjoy next gen visuals.
Visually acceptable, with ActiveSky and some fun planes & airports is enough for me.
I just like P3D more because of the huge amount of WW2 era planes available for it. And I enjoy flying those the most, got it set up with Air Hauler 2. Main base at LESU (with freeware orbx scenery) and when you fly over I can just see my vintage collection of planes parked there.

Are there things that bother me in P3D? Dynamic lighting is ok, but it works only properly when the lights are in front of the cockpit... An issue not even addressed in V5. P3D's flightplanner always worked fine, so there was no need to be fiddling around with it (my opnion)

It doesn't even matter if I set my settings pretty low. The stuttering was there even without the added scenery packages... with cpu hardly going over 60% performance. GPU had no issues either.

In my case, V4 just works better. Yes, the loading time is an issue, but just because I am still running it from an antiquated HDD.

V4 + active sky. some ORBX packages and regions. Some Saitek panels and fips, honeycomb yoke (still waiting for the throttle quadrant) and a cheap TM Joystick, throttle and rudder pedals. All configured specific / plane via spad next.
Simple setup, lots of cables.
I do not really enjoy the hardcore as-it-should-be-in real life sim thing. (although I apply most checklist things before takeoff that I learned at my ULM course just to keep that up to date)

V5 isn't what it should be. They just could have called it V4 hotfix 3...
So I'll probably clone my HDD with V4 to the SSD for V5. ANd just keep my eye on the forums when they finally fix the flightplanner issue.
And then I might switch to V5 again
Bedlamsquare

Some people won't be told, so I do wonder why I bother.

V5 is in no way v4 hotfix 3, and suggesting that it is, is an insult to the thousands of hours of work that's been put in. V5 does work, will run smoothly and is everything it should be. Apart from EA, which is still causing issues - and is not an LM product.

If it's not working for you, there is something wrong with your installation or your computer. In fact I know exactly what it is. You have Air Hauler 2, a "huge amount of WW2 era planes", OrbX, SPAD.neXt with FIPS and Active Sky running on a five year-old computer, off an HDD.

Basically, you've got way too much stuff running on a computer that's not up to the job. You also don't mention how clean your installation of P3D is. My expectation is that all those old addons - which are not optimised for v5 because almost all of them are old FSX models - are installed straight into the P3D directory and have overwritten and corrupted hundreds of core files.

But that's up to you. It's a free world. Lockheed Martin clearly don't have a clue what they are doing, and I'm totally lying about v5 running well for me. You are the world's foremost expert, and came into this thread already knowing what you wanted the outcome to be. Have fun.

When you have upgraded to a computer which is capable of running all that stuff, and you have a clean installation of v5 compatible addons, installed as XML files, then you can express a valid opinion. Right now you are just a silly fool, ranting that his toys don't work.
Bedlamsquare

Oh, and before you get all bent out of shape, this is a Rikoooo forum, not a P3D or Lockheed Martin forum. You don't mention any of Rikoooo's add-ons. If you come to a private, freeware add-on provider's website to rant about how bad someone else's product is, don't expect much sympathy.

If you take your concerns to the correct forum, they will almost certainly tell you the exact same things I did.
Nitrical

My apologies if my previous post offended you in anyway.

I know that this isn't LM or ORBX forum. Yet a lot of people here will have V5 and might have known how to fix it or improve it.

Never had a significant issue with the add-ons from rikooo. In my opinion there isn't a better site to get freeware.
It is tested and detailed with info. So when they say here that it works, it just simply works.

I was just hugely annoyed with the Vector & default flightplanner issue. I have very little time to enjoy my hobby, so when I read that V5 was much much better, I decided to upgrade to V5. My dissapointment and frustration with the unexpected problems had gotten the overtone in my previous post. Mainly because I have so little time to enjoy it. I am a flightsimmer since I was a young boy. So I know a thing or 2 to make adjustments in CFG's.

For the flightplan issue:
I looked at P3D & ORBX forums first to fix it.
They offered a workaround, by disabling vector before creating a flightplan end re-enabling it after creation. It is a workaround, not a solution though.
Both ORBX and Lockheed are aware of the issue with it for quite some time. So I hope LM will fix it in the next update.

Nobody really seemed to have an answer on my initial question for a stable FPS. I do not see a spike in CPU or GPU usage when it drops significantly.
Some say that FFTF Dynamic works great to improve an unstable FPS, but some say it doesn't really do a thing for them.
So question here again: Is anyone here using FFTF Dynamic? And if you do, does it work?

And in regards to your comments on my PC.
It isn't the most expensive in the world, nor is it the fastest at this moment. But I think I can say that it is above average as a 2 year "gaming rig".

Let me there clarify my installation:
- WIN10 from the first M2 SSD (500GB)
- V5 runs from the second M2 SSD (1TB) which I installed especially for it. It is fully dedicated for it.
- ORBX has its dedicated SSD (500GB)
- V4 runs indeed from an HDD, but fully dedicated. (it used to run from an SSD, but that one failed constantly so I cloned it to a spare HDD just before it completely failed). The HDD gives me long loading times and it is indeed a serious downside when using time compression. But for the rest it runs fine.
- Air Hauler2 & SPAD NEXT run networked from my laptop.
- Active sky runs from the rig. But with or without, it doesn't seem to have a big impact overall. It isn't set at max either.
- This rig is solely used for flightsimming. Nothing else.
ClaireTLotz

Unread post by ClaireTLotz »

I ain't face any issue.

Return to “Prepar3D v4 and v5 (64 bits)”